Untangled: Have you guys heard/watch/considered “Code Geass”?

From time to time, a reader will send us a question about our thoughts on certain series or various ideas related to religion.  For instance, Albert asked about iDOLM@STER, leading to one of our most popular posts.

In an effort to encourage further questions, I recently added an “Ask the Staff” button to our toolbar.

Do you have questions for us in regards to anime or manga?  Christianity?  Religion?  Or anything else in between or all around?  Please feel free to send it to us.

Esther, another reader, recently sent us this query:

Have you guys heard/watch/considered “Code Geass”? I think the ending had a great impact and I also think that it can relate to “sacrifice for a loved one” or just “sacrifice”. It’s a short series with just 25 ep. in 2 seasons. (50 in all) Great action scenes and connections.

Thanks for the question, Esther.

Indeed, most of us have watched (or are in the middle of watching) Code Geass.  In fact, it’s one of Zeroe4’s favorite series.

I’m not as big of a fan.  Well, more accurately, I was a huge fan until one particular scene affected me so deeply (in a negative way) that I dropped the show:

I turned the computer off and proceeded to be angry for days, thinking of little but this episode.  I never did finish the series, and never will.

I’ve read a summary of the ending, though, and I agree with your analysis – maybe one day one of our writers will address this strong connection.

In the meantime, stay tuned!  Your question is very timely because  “The Professor” (R86) is working on a post for the series, which should be going up soon.  Please check it out – he’s a gifted writer and I’m sure you’ll enjoy his thoughts.

And for everyone else, please send any questions you have our way!

Comments

• John Sato
    20 June 2012 at 9:50 am

Really is too bad you couldn’t finish it, it was a great show. That said, I won’t question your decision, especially after reading your article. Besides, in my opinion you already saw the best part of it (the first 20 or so eps), so it’s not too much of a loss. :)

Cool site feature. Feels like you guys are getting ever closer to your goal, so keep it up.

20 June 2012 at 7:26 pm
  • Seasons
    20 June 2012 at 10:41 am

I think that the rest is worth watching. You won’t regret it!

20 June 2012 at 7:26 pm
  • sweetpea616
    20 June 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’ve been wanting to watch it, but it always seems to be very… hyped? It’s lasted longer than K-On’s rumbles through the anime community, though, so there is probably something to it. One day. When I finish some of my lesser-known and -loved gems (I will most likely be dead by the time I actually get around to it because so many are 100+ eps long. Yawara and Candy Candy, for instance)

21 June 2012 at 12:30 am

It’s quite an addicting show and has a lot of flash, which probably largely account for its continued popularity.

21 June 2012 at 12:31 am

Is Yawara even available in its entirety? I know it was licensed (I received a free copy of the first couple of episodes through Newtype, I think, a long while ago), but never completed in its English release. But I also thought I read that it was never entirely fansubbed, either.

• redmaigo
        21 June 2012 at 8:47 pm

Animego, the official English licensor, stopped releasing Yawara and ended at the 40th episode. But you can still buy the official DVDs at most online retailers.

However, a couple of fansubber groups have banded together to complete the task. From what I can determine they are up to episode 94 at the time of this post.

That means they still have about 30 episodes to go.

• sweetpea616
          21 June 2012 at 8:54 pm

^ What this dude said. I’ve been following it. And it’s been coming out in a pretty timely manner.

• redmaigo
            21 June 2012 at 9:13 pm

What’s really funny is that Yawara was created by Naoki Urasawa. The same guy who gave us much more mature, darker fare such as Monster, 20th Century Boys and Pluto.

• sweetpea616
            21 June 2012 at 9:17 pm

I know! xD That’s mainly why I really want to watch it. It’s one of the *very few* shoujo that’s over 100 eps… or of any sizeable length. And I’m a huge fan of Urasawa, so reading something outside of his normal genre seems fascinating.

• redmaigo
            21 June 2012 at 9:38 pm

Actually, Yawara is considered a seinen title even though it looks shoujo. It shows Urasawa’s skill and that he is capable of drawing in any style he chooses.

Another male manga ka whose style is shamelessly shoujo is Sho Kitagawa. He only had two series that were made into anime (short OVA’s) back in the early 90s but they are now extremely hard to find: Nineteen 19 and B.B. Fish.

The manga that these series are based upon are even harder to track down. And forget about scanlations because they are just too damn old.

• sweetpea616
            21 June 2012 at 9:48 pm

@ redmaigo – Raelly? Well! I learned something new! ^.^ That is remarkable. And heck, for a seinen show to get that many episodes is still quite rare, so I’m still going to consider it a treat to watch! I’ve tried getting my hands on scanlations, but you’re very right about them being old and (dreadfully) incomplete – at least for Yawara. It was Ashita no Joe all over again. I’m going to see if I can’t work some of my internet magic and find those OVAs you’ve mentioned, even if I can’t find the scanlations or manga, because maybe I could spark some interest in the manga via my review site. I can hope, right? ^.^”

21 June 2012 at 9:50 pm

That is strange. But I suppose it just goes to show that, as with live action, a good animation director can do a variety of show types with equal effectiveness.

21 June 2012 at 9:49 pm
      3 August 2012 at 9:52 pm
      • sweetpea616
        5 August 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’m so broke until i get a job >.<" It's my last indulgement until I'm hired! (have no idea where I'll put it either…)

• redmaigo
    21 June 2012 at 10:25 pm

@sweetpea616 Both can be found on YT by the same uploader. Good luck! They’re both Showa as hell but so is Yawara.

That’s why I love it!

• sweetpea616
      22 June 2012 at 6:45 pm
  • kmzmederela1983
    22 September 2012 at 1:12 pm
  • Check Us Out On Facebook!
    Check Us Out On Twitter!